We Buy Stamps & Stamp Collections!
Our goal is to take the mystery out of selling your stamp collection.
For over 35 years, we have had the pleasure & the privilege of handling virtually every aspect of the stamp & postal history hobby. We are happy to guide you through the process of selling your stamp collection.
If you have no idea of where to begin, we invite you to start by perusing our website. Please go to the We Buy link & read What We Buy, Appraisals Through the Mail & Frequently Asked Questions. This should get you thinking about some of the questions we'll ask you when we speak. But you really don't need to know anything to begin.
Our buyer David Medeiros has agreed to be Chairman of the Nominating Committee for the upcoming American Stamp Dealers Association election.The ASDA is the largest North American association of stamp dealers. The ASDA promotes honest dealing:
"1. To buy and sell at prices commensurate with a reasonable return on my investments and at prevailing market conditions.
2. To give advice to my clientele in philatelic matters to the best of my ability.
3. To refrain from dealing in stolen philatelic and counterfeit material, and to furnish buyers of repaired, regummed, reperforated, restored reprinted or otherwise altered philatelic material with a complete written statement showing in detail the nature of the changes and alterations in such material.
4. To purchase philatelic material from the public at reasonable prices, with due allowances for my risk and prevailing market conditions; to be truthful in my advertising; to refrain from denigrating my competitors; and to make no false claim to a policy or practice of generally underselling competitors."
Victims of our own success!
We do receive a lot of calls from people with stamps for sale... the average day has at least 5 calls or emails. Please read the following points before contacting us, then please email us:
- We do not buy outside of the US. It isn't that we don't like you, but we're offered so much here in the US that it is more than enough for us! The difficulties with paperwork, risks of shipping and the costs of cross border buying just makes it too much. So, if you're from France, Germany, India, South Africa, Russia, China, Colombia, Mexico etc., please don't email us... we'll just tell you to find a more local dealer.
- We have taken to asking everyone to send us images of the collection through email. Please take a "global" shot of the whole collection, or a few pictures if it is too bulky. From this we can direct you to the next step.
- Jpegs are best as the file size is small. Please just attach the images to your email. We have been receiving many images through various services like Shutterfly, Dropbox, Flickr etc. There are literally dozens of these services and we don't want to have to register with every one as it is both time consuming and generates a lot of spam.
- If you have an inventory, please forward it to us.
- If the "collection" you inherited consists of a few hundred stamps torn off of envelopes or are in envelopes that say Mystic, Kenmore or so other approval dealer then the probability of it having anything of value is extremely low (worse than lottery odds). There are literally billions of cheap stamps out there. Old isn't rare... there are also tons of cheap 100 year old stamps! Again, take some pictures if you want and send them to our email.
- Al of tht said, we are always interested in the "room full" of stamps, specialized collections, postage accumulations etc.If, for some reason, we can't use it ourselves then we can direct you where to go with it.
We'll be travelling throughout Florida buying stamp collections now through February, 2014. Please see our Travel Schedule for further details. We will, of course, still travel outside of the state for larger holdings.
Thank you! Our late summer road trip was a huge success!
David met with collectors all over the south, upper mid-west & east coast of the US. Over 7,400 miles were driven & over 20 purchases were made or contracts signed. David is happy to be home!! His route took him through Atlanta & Sugar Hill, Georgia; Huntsville, Alabama; Brentwood & Nashville, Tennessee; Clarksville, Walton, Paintsville & Louisville, Kentucky; Oakbrook, Springfield & Skokie, Illinois; Indianapolis, Greenwood & Greentown, Indiana; Wauwatosa, Madison & Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Detroit, Clarkston, Midland, Lansing & Royal Oak, Michigan; Cleveland, Akron, Milford, Gnadenhutten, Columbus, Hamilton & Fairfield, Ohio; West Berlin, New Jersey; Falls Church, Virginia; Charlotte & Hendersonville, North Carolina; Fernandina Beach, Florida.
Do you buy stamps? Yes, we are always buying!
What information do you need? If there is an inventory, please attach it to the email. We almost always want to have pictures of the collection (attach as jpegs). How big is the collection (number of albums, boxes)? Please include your phone number & where you are located.
How would I know if my collection is valuable or not? Strong collections that have value have been built by collectors who spent substantial money on the collection at the time ... buying individual stamps, sets or covers for the equivalent of $50 or more per item in today's money. Other collections can be worthwhile because of the volume involved, but generally the value is in the volume, not as a percentage of catalog value.
Do you buy collections outside of the United States? Frankly, we do not buy much outside of the US. There are problems with shipping costs that make the viewing of collections difficult & expensive. Plus, there is plenty of material for sale in the US!
We do get a lot of email queries. Recently someone wrote:
Please send me details on how to do the process.
The process involves a bunch of questions: were you the collector & if not, how did you get the stamps? How big is the collection (# of albums, boxes) & what is it made up of (countries or topics involved, is there an inventory or has an appraisal been done before)? If the answers sound good, then I will need to see the collection so I can evaluate it ... at the least, I'll need some digital pictures &/or I will want to know where the collection is so I can see it. If you're very far outside my travel routes or you need to sell it soon, then you may need to get the collection to me. I also need to know if you really want to sell the collection or need an appraisal. A telephone conversation about all of this is the best way, but we can go back & forth via email. If I want to buy the collection after I have seen it, then I make an offer & you say yes or no. Then I pay you (or not). If I'm not interested in the collection, I may then refer you to a reputable auction or another dealer & I will explain that process to you.
Does this help?
David Medeiros - Quality Stamps
Our buyer, David Medeiros, travels extensively, generally east of the Mississippi. He travels in a van so he has lots of room for all the stamp collections he buys along the way. He may be driving through your area soon & could stop in to buy your stamp collection. Have a look at our Travel Schedule.
More & more we are finding that small collections are best viewed through the mail (please contact us before sending anything). This is especially true if you are isolated from stamp dealers. One recent seller emailed us:
Yes please use the Westminster address. We are actually in the process of packing to move but not until the end of next week.
My friend asked me why I was sending the stamps to you without knowing you & why I should trust you.
I told her your online reviews were good, you made a fair offer, & when we spoke you sounded like a good guy. I said the only thing you have to keep your business going is your reputation & that it would be ok.
Thanks for letting me know everything arrived safely.
Carolyn is right ... with over 30 years of fair business dealings, we value our reputation above all else! We are also members of all the national professional philatelic organizations & have been for many years.
Questions? Have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Free advice is only a telephone call (941-376-5689) or e-mail away! Or use our handy contact form.
David & Francesca